Choosing the best soil is a very important and essential decision that you make in the process of growing a plant, even if it is plant-like Cannabis. in case you are under the impression that growing a Cannabis plant requires a fancy set-up then you are wrong. We are here to guide and help you with this article: What soil is best for Cannabis?
Growing Cannabis in the backyard is a myth we all fall for because we know it is easier to grow cannabis outdoors than indoors. It doesn’t matter growing cannabis indoors or outdoors, without choosing the ideal soil for the plant.
In this article, we will help you solve all the questions with some very brief and relevant answers along with some tips and our own DIY soil guide to growing your Cannabis healthily.
What is a Cannabis Plant?
Cannabis is a plant that is a drug used for medicinal and recreational purposes. Cannabis is of three types.
- Cannabis sativa– Gives high yield because of the growth cycle. The leaves are elongated, ponty and finger.
- Cannabis indica– Best for commercial growers. The leaves are broader and are preferred for indoor use by cultivators. Grow up to 9 feet in height.
- Cannabis ruderalis– Shorter in height and missing main components make it less growable. They are used mostly for breeding.
Cannabis sativa plants’ leaves, flowers, buds, and stems are dried to make products based on cannabis. The active ingredients in it are called cannabinoids. There are more than 120 cannabinoids in cannabis. Evidence shows that cannabis is used to treat chronic pain and anxiety in some individuals. In most places it is illegal. But in the United States, many states have legalized it for both medicinal and recreational uses.
What Soil is Best for Cannabis?
The best soil for cannabis plants is Loamy soil. Loamy soil has a mix of sand, silt, and clay content in it. It will give the right amount of drainage, retention, and texture as well as nutrients in the soil for cannabis.
In the case of indoor plants, Select soil that does have all components of cannabis soil. Buying potting soil or potting mix and making amendments could do the work.
In the case of outdoor plants, buying organic garden soil does the work. The outdoor way is cost-efficient and easy to grow cannabis. But the results may change also with the location of the plant.
What is the Best pH Level for Cannabis Soil?
The ideal soil pH for cannabis should be around 6.0. It can range from 5.7 to 6.5. pH stands for the potential of hydrogen and uses a chemical scale to identify the nature of the substance. Any soil with a pH higher than 7 is alkaline and less than 7 is acidic. Opt for a pH test to find the soil pH level. Cannabis plants like slightly acidic soil. If the soil is too alkaline, it may affect the plant. The plant won’t produce and grow well in alkaline soil.
What are the Components of Soil with Cannabis Plants?
The following four main components should be present in the soil to make it the soil for growing the cannabis plant. Let us take a look at them:
- Texture– The texture of the soil for cannabis can range from coarse to fine. The cannabis soil prefers a very light and loose soil which helps in root growth. The texture of indoor and outdoor soil can vary but should have clay content in it.
- Drainage– Cannabis plants prefer soil with good drainage. To wash off the excess water retention, they need good drainage. Too much water absorption may affect the root growth of the plant in the soil. So it is necessary to balance the soil according to the preferences.
- Water Retention– The water retention for the soil should be moderate. It depends on the size of the plant, temperature, growth, and health. Cannabis’s need for water changes as if the soil is dry, it needs water. So as they prefer soil with a light texture, it may have less water retention capacity.
- Nutrients– Nutrients play a major part in cannabis plant growth. In playing the balance between drainage and retention of water, there will be nutrient loss in soil which can be avoided. To bring back such nutrients, adding the organic nutrients hummus, compost and such to soil is a must. Either making your own soil or buying soil for cannabis plants, the nutrients in the soil will be lost in less than a month. It is necessary to add nutrients at regular intervals.
What are the Nutrients for Cannabis in Soil?
The nutrients for cannabis in soil are Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus, Magnesium, Calcium, and Manganese.
The main three important nutrients which are present in soil are Nitrogen, potassium, and phosphate. From the above-said information, we know cannabis soil needs nutrients at regular intervals to thrive in soil. These nutrients make the most of the soil.
Adding a fertilizer for nitrogen in the soil can totally alter the NPK ratio, so adding and balancing should be done properly.
Cannabis plants need a high amount of nitrogen in the soil during the vegetation stage. Soil amendments like bone meal, chicken manure, and worm casting can be added to increase the Nitrogen amount in the soil. Wood ash and compost make the best potassium composition which helps in plant health.
Phosphorus deficiency makes leaves dry out. Calcium deficiency makes the whole plant weak. Color changes in leaves happen when they lack manganese. To avoid all these, the right amount of nutrient compositions is to be added.
What is the Natural Soil Mix for a Cannabis Plant?
The natural soil mix for cannabis plants is a mix of coconut coir, perlite, peat moss, clay pebbles, vermiculate, worm casting, pumice, meal, bat guano, kelp, wood ash, manure, and forest hummus. These amendments make the best nutrient-rich ingredient mix in the soil for the cannabis plant.
- Soybean, crab, shrimp, bone, blood, and fish meal– Source of phosphorus and calcium.
- Mycorrhizal fungi– Nutrient absorption capacity.
- Compost– Source of potassium.
- Coconut coir– Fibre source to lighten the soil.
- Perlite– Provide calcium and improve calcium.
- Peat moss– Contains all three nutrients.
- Vermiculite- Potassium, magnesium, and calcium contents.
- Worm casting– Quick source of nitrogen.
- Pumice– Contains more vital nutrients.
- bat guano– Rich in nitrogen and phosphorus.
- wood ash is– Great source of potassium.
- Kelp– Rich in micronutrients.
- Humus– Rich in nitrogen.
- Chicken manure– Full of phosphorus.
What Organic Soil is best for Cannabis?
The organic soil which is best for cannabis plants is Homemade soil. The organic soil can also be store-bought. But there is no guarantee that they will provide the right amount of nutrients in the soil for cannabis. They may also add chemical fertilizers which are harmful to the plants.
But making the soil from scratch for cannabis will give you better quality results from the plant. Right from selecting the soil and checking the content in it to amending the soil with high nutrients, it will become the best organic soil. In this way, you know what nutrients your soil will need or what problems with soil can be solved quickly.
USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) regulates the importation of all plants and seeds for planting to ensure safe agricultural trade.
According to USDA, cannabis means “hemp” and is any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers.
DIY Tips to make Soil for Cannabis at Home (Complete guide)
Growing cannabis takes some time and works as does making organic soil for them at home. Making your own mix takes the involvement but it gives organic results without the use of fertilizers from commercials. This recipe is used for both indoor and outdoor cannabis. Some tips to know before you start making your soil mix for cannabis.
- Collecting all the ingredients before making the recipe.
- Start recording the process of making the soil for future reference.
- Take time to mix the ingredients.
- Learn other necessary items like reading a pH tester as you need to frequently check the soil pH to add or remove the nutrients in it.
- Get yourself updated with the knowledge of maintaining the soil for your cannabis plant.
Now you can start making the DIY with the below-given ingredients and follow up,
- Gear up with gloves to avoid dirt from the soil.
- Measuring cup or instrument to measure the ingredients.
- Bucket or vessel to make space to mix the soil.
- A small shovel/ Trowel to mix the soil.
- Peat moss
- Coco fiber
- Worm casting
- Tea leaves
- Bone Meal
My best recipes for the best cannabis soil after much trial and error,
- 1 Part Loamy sand
- 1 Part Compost (any)
- 1 Part Perlite
- 1 Part Coconut coir or peat moss
Adding bat guano and kelp will help in increasing bacterial and fungal populations in the soil.
After collecting all the required ingredients and tools add the measured ingredients to the bucket with the help of a trowel and add one part sand and one part compost of any choice and mix it well so both are mixed. Add the perlite and coconut coir or peat moss of your choice to the soil and mix all well to make the best soil for your cannabis. If you are using potting soil then add the required amount of sand to it and other nutrients to reach the pH requirement.
Where to buy Soil for Cannabis?
Soil for cannabis can be bought in a nearby commercial store or online. It is up to you to find out whether it is legal in your place before buying anything for the plant. Many places are legalizing cannabis for medicinal purposes. It is better to check what law applies in your place. You can select based on your choice with your research and the right mix mentioned on the label. Adding some soil conditioner according to the plant will help for the betterment of the plant as well the soil.
3 Best Commercial Brands to buy Soil for Cannabis
- Fox farm – Happy frog Potting soil
One of the best soil for both indoor, outdoor, and container plants is happy frog potting soil. These are ready-to-use soil with a pack of nutrients. It also contains humic acid and mycorrhizae which gives the right pH for Cannabis plants. The benefits of this premium select potting soil are strong plant structure, and vigorous vegetative growth, with enhanced fruit and flower production. This soil can be used directly to replenish the existing soil. Added bonus of a free pair of gardening gloves is provided with this product.
- Espoma – Garden soil
Espoma is a leader in garden fertilizer and a trusted brand that gives good results. They are fortified with earthworm castings with myco tone which gives the right pH for cannabis. This product is all-natural and organic making it best for ground plantings. They have a pH level from 5.5 to 7.5 which helps the cannabis plant thrive. They also contain peat moss and feather meal in it. The direction to use is mentioned on the label and on its website too.
- Ocean Forest – Potting soil
One more product from Fox farm is this potting soil which is ideal for seedlings. The pH level in the soil is adjusted to make the most of the soil for the containers or potted plants. The soil is lightweight and well-aerated which makes it also suitable for all naturally mix grown plants. The nutrients in this soil make it perfect for both indoor and outdoor gardening. The soil is mixed to adjust the ph levels of the plants which helps promote the cannabis plant growth and make it healthier.
|No||Name of the product||Quantity
|1||Fox farm- Happy frog Potting soil||1||99|
|2||Espoma- garden soil||1||49|
|3||Ocean Forest- Potting soil||1.5||28.49|
What is the Best Compost for Building Soil for Cannabis?
The best compost for building soil for cannabis plants is a 50% nitrogen and 50% carbon mix of amendments. Compost is made of waste from plants, fruits, vegetables, and yards. Using the microorganisms this waste will be broken down. Compost is used to enrich soil nutrients. They help reduce waste disposal and convert it into useful fertilizer for the soil. There are many types of compost like mushroom compost, Lomi compost, and hummus compost all made from waste. Nitrogen amendments such as compost manure, blood meal, crab meal, feather meal, and soybean meal. Animal manure is rich in carbon which helps in forming the best compost for your cannabis soil plant.
Tips and tricks
- Investing in high-intensity or fluorescent lights will help indoor plants grow faster. Using LED lights will help save energy.
- Giving a space of three feet between plants will enrich the growth of cannabis.
- Cannabis plants need total darkness for at least 5 hours a day as rest time.
What are the Best Liquid Plant Foods for Cannabis grown Indoors in Soil?
The best liquid plant foods for cannabis plants indoors are manure tea, Compost tea, and blood meal. Food for plants can be in any form liquid, powder, or soil. The powder form is best among all because of its impact and stays in the soil. Solid foods do good for slow nutrient-absorbing plants. Liquid food acts as a quick boost of nutrients for plants. To boost your cannabis plant, the best one is to make tea out of solids such as manure tea and compost tea. Or mixing the powdered foods with water to make them liquid such as blood meal.
Cannabis doesn’t have specific soil or mix like other plants to grow perfectly. All the recipes are from trial and error. But this one works best for me. So, give it a try and I am sure you won’t be disappointed.
I hope this article helps you make the best soil for your cannabis!
How much perlite do you add to potting soil for cannabis?
The perlite used soil is usually 1 part to 4 part soil. In the case of cannabis, it can go more than one part to two parts.
What kind of soil is used for outdoor cannabis plants?
Loam soil is the kind of soil for outdoor cannabis plants.
What type of potting soil should I use for cannabis?
Loamy potting soil should be used for cannabis.
What are the best types of cannabis fertilizers?
Worm casting, bacteria, hummus, compost, and fungi are some of the best types of cannabis fertilizers.